Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A Loss Of Words

We’re going to be leaving on our trip to Southern California on Thursday still. Older Boy stopped puking Monday evening. Younger Boy only puked once today, but kept two meals down. However, at dinner time he threw up again (during Older Boy’s birthday party that we decided to have since both boys had kept their food down that day … until then). If it were anything like Sunday night I'd say cancel it, but I think time is on our side here and that we'll be good to go.

The boys are supposed to go see Jane tomorrow since we’ll be leaving Thursday (her day with them). I expressed that 1)I really thought that with our trip planned Younger Boy needed another day of sleep and rest (like he had today – especially since he puked up dinner), and 2)I was concerned with the risk of him puking at Jane’s house because not only is it Jane and she freaks out when one of the kids does puke but she also has the baby over there. I guess I was more concerned with the health of the baby and I didn’t want to risk exposing him to whatever Younger Boy has, apparently, not totally kicked yet.

Anyway, I suggested that my fiancé call her up and let her know. He decided that he was going to let her choose whether or not Younger Boy should go over there. So he called her up, and from my end of the conversation, I didn’t have a damn clue of what Jane’s final decision had been. It turns out she told my future hubby to let Younger Boy decide.

OK, can I just burst out with a “Are you F’ing Kidding Me?!?!”

You’re going to put the health of your baby, the health of your other son who is 3-years-old into that sick 3-year-old’s hands? The boy can’t make up his mind if he wants a turkey and mustard sandwich or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I was appalled. I was literally at a loss of words after my quiet under my breath “Are you F’ing Kidding Me?!?” came out.

The first thought that came to mind was, “Is Jane seriously that incapable of making a responsible, rational, and sane decision?” Then I thought, “Is she seriously that lazy that she’s going to put that responsibility in Younger Boy’s immature and innocent child hands? Then I thought, “F That Shit! If she’s not going to be an adult and make a responsible decision then I sure as hell am.”

As much as I would love to share the joys of parenting a sick child with her, I’m not about to do that. Especially since she doesn’t feed them anything but junk! The last thing I needed was Younger Boy getting sick again at her house and her freaking out about it. The other last thing I needed was Younger Boy going over there and then her baby getting whatever it is that caused the puke fest over here. I’m not a doctor, but considering that it took about a week for Younger Boy and Older Boy to catch whatever lovely ickyness Middle Boy had last week I really didn’t want to risk it.

I honestly think that Younger Boy will be good to go on Thursday with another day of sleeping, drinking water, and resting. Like I said, he did pretty good today until dinner time. And I truly do feel really bad that he’s not going to get to see Jane tomorrow. But I care a whole lot more about him getting better and being healthy. Am I being too paranoid? Maybe ... but then again I've never had kids before. Don't all mothers worry about their childrens' illnesses at first? I know my mother still worries about my health issues today. She may not be there wiping up my puke, but she cares and she calls and she asks questions to stay in the loop. I've considered that maybe he's just got a touchy and sensitive stomach since he participated and competed for the title of "Top Puker" in our family. But when it comes to having babies I get even more paranoid about the risk of illness.

And it really just blew me away that she chose to leave that responsibility in Younger Boys' hands. That she couldn’t just say “Yes, I’m willing to take the risk” or “No, I’d prefer that he not come over.” Is it really that hard of a decision to make? Especially when it comes to the well-being and health of your children?

4 comments:

Jax said...

Would it be appropiate to say I can smell the barf through the screen? Feeling for you!!

Crys said...

At this point I'd be surprised if you couldn't. He he. We bought a new bottle of Febreez to help freshen up the house.

Minnie said...

Sweetie, I'm so sorry for you. Not just for the sick Kidlet, but for the nasty idiot you have to deal with on the other end.

Anonymous said...

Just focus on the boys. Be the best parent you can. They need that. And enjoy your trip! :-)