Thursday, March 19, 2009

Waiting Stinks

So my computer is broken and I have to use my future hubby’s computer to do my non-work stuff. I don’t like to use my work computer because they have access to view exactly what I’m doing and when I’m doing it. Sucks, but I’ll take it to be able to work from home. So here I am, waiting for the weekend when I’ll hopefully be able to bring my computer in and get it fixed. It stinks because all my photos are on there, all my wedding planning is on there, and it’s mine. I hate waiting. I have patience, but really I don’t.

I’m also waiting on the test results to come back in from the blood work I had done last week. The doctor said that it should take about two weeks for her to figure out what was wrong with me. Two weeks, that’s not too long, right? Oh geez, it’s taking forever! I’m the woman who thinks waiting three minutes for a pregnancy test to show results seems like hours. Two weeks is taking F O R E V E R!

Let me back up. I’ve been having a rough go. I feel like I have to eat, almost all day long. I feel like my blood sugar is all out of wack. If I don’t eat then I start to feel sick. In fact, if I don’t eat I get sick. I get nauseous, I get light headed, I start to get clammy, I feel like I’m on my way to drinking one too many. And in my opinion, feeling like you’re getting drunk without getting any of the booze is just wrong. I also get pale, and I can’t concentrate, and it’s just not a good time. This all started a year or so ago … and I know. I probably should have gone to see the doctor when it all first happened. But, I didn’t. There’s no good excuse for it outside of I just dislike going to the hospital. And it wasn’t that bad then. If I ate by 11am and 5pm then I was good to go. I kept nuts and trail mix in my desk for the moments in between.

But lately it’s been worse. I feel like crap even after I’ve eaten. Even though I'm eating more it’s like I need to still eat every 2 to 4 hours in order to make it through the day without feeling like yuck. I decided that it was finally time to go in to see the doctor. It was more pissing me off that my body was totally revolting against me. Not that I blame my body. After I starved it for years and years and subjected it to party night after party night I probably wouldn’t be at the top of my favorite people list either. But still…with three boys, two cats and a fiancé to take care of I figured it was time I stepped up and took care of it.

I told the doctor anything and everything I could think of. Like the history of high blood pressure and cholesterol on my dad’s side. And the history of anything and every other disease and illness you can think of under the sun on my mom’s side. So she tells me, It’s either your thyroid having issues or you’re the opposite of diabetes. (Both diabetes and thyroid issues are prominent on my mom’s side.) She tells me that I need to fast and get blood work done the next day. She tells me that it will take about two weeks. Younger Boy got the stickers and I was sent on my way…with nothing else!

I figured it was up to me then to do the research. What I found for the opposite of diabetes was hypoglycemia. I found it came with an altered diet, the necessity to cut out foods that make more sugar in your body, and a completely changed way of planning meals and what those meals consisted of.

I’ve been trying to incorporate some of those changes … and they’ve worked a bit. But still it would be nice to know what’s wrong with me. It would be nice to know what I can officially do in the mean time. It would be nice if I could just get some sort of knowledge from those that have it, because I really hate guessing on my own how to take care of me when I really have no medical knowledge outside of what I can research online.

For the record – As of tomorrow I’m one week down and have one more to go. Waiting on important things stinks. Or maybe it’s more I stink at waiting on important things. Makes you wonder how I’m able to not go completely crazy planning a wedding that takes place about 11 months from now.

3 comments:

Morocco said...

I had a diabetes test last summer because I thought for certain I was diabetic. It runs very rampantly on both sides of my family. However, I was not. My doctor did discover that I was "borderline" anemic and encouraged me to take an iron supplement.

Waiting is not fun, but perhaps you could use the time continue researching hypoglycemia so that you can be prepared to implement some life style changes.

Thinking of you...

Minnie said...

Waiting is enough to drive anyone crazy, especially when you don't feel well.

I'd tend to agree on the anemia possibility.

Anonymous said...

Yes, waiting for medical tests is horrible. However, seeing as how behind I am on your blog. What was the outcome? You looked good last night! (And awesome to see you, by the way. Adam and I talked on the way out about how unbelievably well behaved they all were. Especially after a long drive! You both really are doing an amazing job. It was fun to see it in action.)