Monday, December 1, 2008

Give Me That Tragedy

There are two tragedies in life. One is to lose your heart's desire. The other is to gain it.” -George Bernard Shaw
Yes, losing your heart's desire is tragic. But gaining your heart's desire? That's all you can hope for. This year I wished for love...to immerse myself in someone else and to wake a heart long afraid to feel. My wish was granted. And if having that is tragic, then give me that tragedy. Because I wouldn't give it back for the world.” -Peyton Sawyer (The Tide That Left And Never Came Back, OTH)

How I adore my One Tree Hillisms.

I have wonderful, happy, exciting news.

On Tuesday the boyfriend and I actually got to go out on a date (very rare occasion). The boys were at Jane’s to spend part of their Thanksgiving week off.

He brought me out to the pier to watch the sun set. (It was a bit overcast but this has become a special spot for us to go to.) We were sitting on a bench watching the sun set, the calm water and the lights of houses across the water light up. There were some annoying skater boys in the back of us, and I laughed at them while the boyfriend muttered annoyance at them. We were holding hands gazing out at the water when he turned to me and said something about putting an end to an evening of nervousness.

And that, is when he pulled out a beautiful diamond ring and got down on one knee as he asked me to marry him!

I managed to whisper out a yes as the excitement and rush of bliss filled me up, and he slipped the ring on my finger.

Then we went and played some putt-putt golf (he in his slacks and tie and me in my wedges and poufy skirt. It was great!) And then went out for a delicious Italian dinner.

So the boyfriend has officially been promoted up to fiancé. It’s still sinking in, but I can’t shake the blissful happy butterfly feeling that rushes through me lately. I don’t think I want to shake it, as it is actually rather nice and refreshing.

And the boys are very excited about it. Older Boy has been asking for about two months now when we’re getting married. And Middle Boy had a huge grin on his face and swooped up to give me a hug after we told them. Younger Boy seems more interested in whether or not he can play with play doh or not. Expected I guess from a three-year-old boy. Of course, now they’ve been asking when I’m going to get a ring for Daddy. They crack me up.

I was very nervous about telling the boys to be quite honest. Even though Older Boy had been asking for months when we were getting married, or my favorite, “Daddy, when are you going to get a ring,” I had a really bad dream one night last month where we did tell them and Older Boy got so mad and angry that he was trying to purposely sabotage me. But, they are excited and that puts my worried soul at ease.

We’ve started planning and we’re trying to figure out how to incorporate the boys into it so that they feel that they are a part of it. We’ve been trying to work on becoming a family, and I think making them feel a part of it would be great (I hope!)

Anyway, that is where I have been. We’ve been sharing the good news and I’ve been all over the internet (Etsy, The Knot, Here Comes The Guide) trying to be prepared and doing my research. But I had to come on and share it with all of you too! I hope that you all had a great Thanksgiving! Oh, and here is a photo of the ring because, as a fellow lady, I know you all want to see it.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! I remember the excitment...oh how quickly the time goes by :)

perdido said...

awwwwwwww!

Mrs M said...

Congratulations!! Oohh, I got goose bumps reading your post - how romantic.
Happy planning, it's going to be so exciting!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your engagement! How exciting!

Definitely DO include the boys in all the wedding stuff, they will appreciate it.

Yo said...

HEEEYYYYYYY!!!! CONGRATS!!! how sweet! skater boys and all. wonderful =) so happy for you!

Unknown said...

Congrats!!! That is fabulous. I wish you all the best.

Jacque
www.becomingastepmom.com

Patiently waiting said...

Wow, congratulations! The ring is beautiful!

Jenn (Life's Sweet Melody) said...

Congrats! Sounds like a wonderfully romantic proposal!

Rachael said...

Congratulations!!! I love that you celebrated with putt putt. :)

Minnie said...

Many congratulations!

(Although I have to say you paint such an image of two adults playing golf in "dress up" clothes.

Unknown said...

Do you know when you guys are having the wedding?

I'm a little sad that you're getting married because I was hoping to make you plan my wedding. Now you have to plan your own :(

Smirking Cat said...

CONGRATULATIONS! How exciting for you both! Good luck to you and your family.

Anonymous said...

I am SOOOOO late on this but congratulations! I am thrilled for you and your future family...but really they are your family already! What an exciting new phase of life for you! Can't wait to read all the details!