Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I Want Off The Ride! Or At Least A Chance To Catch My Breath

I’ve been waiting to write this entry, as it’s another emotional and challenging one. So please consider this as your forewarning.

Once again, it was an exhausting ride on the emotional roller coaster this weekend.

The fury and wrath from Friday fizzled later on that night, especially after catching up with my god brother. I got to get all caught up on the details of his nasty divorce and after a martini and delicious food all was well. I talked to the boyfriend later that night and Saturday started off pretty well.

The Ride UP
We took the boys to the library to get them library cards. It was really pleasant to see how excited they got when we went inside. Younger Boy automatically started looking for Thomas the Tank Engine books. Older Boy and Middle Boy sort of just looked around in awe. I pointed Middle Boy in the direction of some Curious George books and older boy sat down with a book, that he enjoyed so much he’s read about six or seven times since we brought it home.

Then we went to a little mom and pop candy shop/ice cream parlor that has been around town for years. Boyfriend felt it was necessary to get me some coconut covered in dark chocolates and we got the boys some very good sinful tasting ice cream.

Then the boyfriend and I got to go out to dinner with my parents, we had the dessert (homemade cheesecake) first, and had a rather good night.

The Ride DOWN
Well, the boyfriend and I were out to breakfast Sunday when we got word that the boys’ mother was in labor at the hospital. My stomach soured and a sudden sadness flowed over me like a fog. In fact, I seemed to absolutely stew in it … and I didn’t quite know why it was there.

We got home and I had to get out on my own. I grabbed the keys, hopped in my car and just started driving. I didn’t know where I was going. I just knew that I had to know what was causing this sadness. About halfway to where I thought I was going (about 25 minutes later) it hit me.

The sourness was jealousy that she was having another child, the sadness was almost mourning for a child that I had convinced myself that I wasn’t going to get to have.

Let me explain this. The question of “Are you two going to have children” has come up plenty of times. In my heart, of course I want to have a child one day. I want nothing more that to experience this bond between parent and child that I have observed in both the boys and their undying love for their mother and between the boyfriend and the boys.

But in my head, right now and for quite some time, it would be financial suicide. The boyfriend and I both have student loans and of course some sort of debt. Who doesn’t? But, when you have three growing boys to care for on top of it, adding a possible one or two more children (as my generation in my family my cousins have been having twins left and right) just isn’t smart. In my head, I know that it’s going to take a couple of years to get us financially stable enough to even consider having a child. And, personally, I don’t want to have any children past the age of 31. I’m 27 now.

I could blame the no-longer-existing-old-school Plan on this I think. I would most definitely like to be married before we even consider having children. And in the Plan my children would be no more than three or four years apart from each other. Having a child that much younger than the boys really just makes me uneasy. I guess from years of experience I’ve seen success and I’ve seen failure in much younger children with much older siblings. And I just don’t want it.

So I was sad, and bitter, and jealous of the girl. And of course, quite angry at myself. "Get Over It!" I yelled at myself. Of course that didn't work out too well. There she was, getting to have another child. While here I was, sacrificing and taking care of the three she decided she didn’t want to be responsible for.

“It’s not fair. What about me? When do I get to have something that I want?” I thought.

And I cried. I cried a lot. I cried practically all night. And I slept horribly. And the next day I got to hear all about Mommy’s baby. How cute he is. How soft his skin is. How little he is.

And I could only swallow my sadness and smile. You take the good with the bad when you make a choice. And you must accept all aspects of the choices you make. (I feel this is my mantra lately. Maybe I should start a club. We can make jackets.)

Will we ever have children? Who knows, it’s possible. But right now I know that it wouldn’t be the smart thing to do. Nor would it be the right thing or the responsible thing to do. And I’d much rather be childless than struggling each month just to be able to provide for the boys, the cats and us. This is either just a new obstacle I will have to learn to deal with or a new fact I’ll have to learn to accept … for now ... and eventually learn to let go of.

In the meantime, I will enjoy my new smell that I got from Bath & Bodyworks. They apparently discontinued my old smell, so I had to find a new smell. And I have oh, so been enjoying it in the form of bubble bath and after shower. Show yourself self love and pamper yourself with a nice treat when it seems like there’s no way out.

5 comments:

Morocco said...

Once you add a new baby to the family, things will really get hectic! So my advice to you is to enjoy the time you have now sans baby with your stepsons and their dad.

Also, in the meanwhile you two can work on paying off some of your debts so that you won't have that hanging over your head when you get pregnant. I'm sure that they will be equally in awe of their new sibling by you as well.

I think I would feel more sorry for her that she is having another baby--considering that she is not mothering the three that she has. It's awesome that they are not jealous of the little one. That shows that they have a connection to you--which is a good thing.

Rachael said...

Where I can't understand your overwhelming emotions of being thrown into motherhood, I definitely relate to your comment about having to live with all the consequences of your actions. I had my own, "What am I doing with my life?" moment today. I know what I want ultimately out of life and I know what I'm doing right now is filling a void in my life, but it still seems like I'll never make it from point A to point B. I'm scared of making the wrong decisions or in order to selfishly make myself happy at the moment, I'll ruin my future. I'm trying to roll with the punches, but it's comforting to read that other people are fighting similar battles. Thanks for putting yourself out there.

Smirking Cat said...

Why have you limited yourself so strictly to the age of 31 for having kids?

Crys said...

I'm sure if it really came to it, I could give a year or so. But I just really don't want to have any past then. I guess my career mode mind is still strong in there with the whole thought of - if it hasn't happened yet then don't bother. Which when I usually stop bothering it happens.

*Marie* said...

You know that term "I know your pain"? I think it fits here. When I found out bio mom was having another baby, I was furious. Once the fury died down, I was able to annalyze why I was feeling that way, and I came up with very similar feelings to what you are feeling. *sigh* And then, to top it off, she calls me and tells me she is naming her baby the same name (first and middle) that I named my son (whom I placed for adopted when he was born). That one, I will probably never get over.