Monday, June 14, 2010

I’d Had Enough

This is a follow up to this post in which I was frustrated with Jane not giving us an answer as to which days she would be taking the boys for their summer weeks with her. Jane was supposed to call FH as soon as she had gotten her schedule last Sunday. I told FH that I would bake a cake if she actually did. Needless to say there was no cake baking last week.

Around Thursday and Friday I had enough … specifically because the following week (this week) was one of the weeks that Jane had said she would possibly be taking them. I nagged (and oh how I nagged) FH to call her at least once a day until she either picked up the phone or called back. My theory was that if she wasn’t going to call us then we were going to irritate the living heck out of her until she called back to make it stop.

FH finally got a hold of her Saturday morning. As usual I sat nearby to quietly listen to the conversation. I have excellent hearing and can usually hear the other person on the other line, even if I’m not the one on the phone. The initial jist of the conversation was that Jane just couldn’t get any extra days off soon. Her job already had to rearrange her schedule so that her and her guy weren’t working the same shifts and basically they weren’t inclined to give her any more special treatment considering everyone else at her work was putting in requests for days off too. Thus, the phone call ended with the agreement that the boys would be seeing her for their usual dinner on Thursday and no other summer dates were agreed upon.

Which led to this conversation:
Me: Does she have the dates I wrote down for her?
FH: Yes.
Me: Can she not find them or is it probably she’s just too lazy to go look for them?
FH: She’s probably just being lazy.

FH asked if he ought to call her mom, Jolie, about having the boys over for Jane’s time. My answer was “No, they’re her kids and this is her responsibility.”

Which is the point that I had had enough of the bull poop. I dug in my purse and pulled out the list of dates in which I left details of which boy was available on which days to go over and spend time at her home. I told FH that he needed to call her back with these dates and get an answer from her (with the silent point that he wasn’t getting off the phone with her until something was decided upon. And I’m sure he knows I would have nagged him to call her back again if the deal wasn’t sealed.)

I’m happy to say that the task was at least accomplished. Jane and FH decided on dates that she would take the boys in August, with the plans that Jane would put in requests with work to get them off since they were far away enough that she just might get them off. Although it’s not the full two weeks, I will be happy that’s she’s taking Younger Boy for a weekend and Middle and Older Boy for a week. That’s better than nothing, right?

Now we’ll just have to wait and see if it actually happens, or if she pulls what she did last year and cancel and not attempt to reschedule.

4 comments:

LuckyNo27 said...

Go Crys! Pregnant, irritated, and not going to take any bull poop! LoL

The Step In Mom. . . said...

I can't blame you for getting fed up... after 3 kids doesn't he know better than to mess with pregnant ladies? lol.

Hopefully you can lock Jane down on these days.

I can understand how you feel about Jane needing to step up because they are her kids and it is her 2 weeks. But if Jolie is willing to keep them a few days I don't see what the harm is. She is part of their family, and doesn't seem to be a detriment to their well being. Plus it will give you guys a little bit of a break.

Just because Jane sucks as a Mom doesn't mean the rest of her family sucks. I am sure the boys will thank you when they are older that you helped them stay connected with their extended family even when their Mom wouldn't.

*Marie* said...

I'm impressed with your commitment! At least one of you is interested in getting it done, and it's obviously not her. Those boys are blessed to have you in their lives.

Anonymous said...

I've tried to come up with some words of wisdom but all I can think to say is arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!