Monday, June 28, 2010

Boys PLEASE use the Poop Light!

Perhaps it’s because I grew up in an all girl house and my dad, the only male, was all about turning on the fan and lighting the “Poop Candle” when doing Number 2. Perhaps it’s because when I did live in the all boy household in college all the boys religiously used the “Poop Spray” that sat above the toilet (sometimes there were two to choose from). Or maybe it’s just that I thought that most people would prefer to do something about the fragrant smell that happens with doing the Number 2. That’s why bathroom fans, poop spray and poop candles were invented, right? They’re all labeled “odor controlling” devices of one kind or another but we all know what they’re really for.

Well, my naïve self became aware that maybe it was just me when I moved in with FH and the boys. At our old bathroom we had a fan that automatically turned on when you turned on the light, I placed two types of sprays in there also. I’m almost convinced I was the only one using them. I also tried to educate about perhaps leaving the fan on and the door cracked if it was an extremely stinky one. Our bathroom was nestled on the far side of the apartment and didn’t have a window. Not only that, but the litter box was in the bathroom so that combined with human smells could really fill up the apartment. In this current apartment there are two switches. One is just a light and one is a light with a fan. I thought it would be obvious but for some reason the boys insisted on just using the switch for just the light when they went in there.

LUCKILY this bathroom has a window, but that doesn’t always help. I finally had enough of being bombed one day and I put up this sign to help make the right decision:


Unfortunately for me, I’m pretty convinced that Younger Boy and FH are the only ones who can read in this house. Although, Younger Boy does like to leave the bathroom door open when he uses the bathroom so I’m not always sure how much help using the light with a fan switch works. But I award an E for Effort.

I write about this now because now that I’m pregnant I have that super-sniffer attached to me. And now that its summer and we just don’t have central air our apartment can be most uncomfortable on a hot nasty day. I wonder if putting duct tape over the “Just the light” switch will help. I think it’s worth a try.

Edit: OK Ladies. As soon as I published this I sprung into action. The "just light" light switch is now taped in the Off position with Duchess Purple duct tape. It is no longer an option. I also wanted to add in that I think the only reason Younger Boy even uses the "Light with fan" switch is because it's labeled with the word "Poop" and we all know how much the child enjoys the word "Poop."

8 comments:

LuckyNo27 said...

That is halarious!

The Step In Mom. . . said...

LMAO, that is crazy. You should duct tape the light switch down so they have to use the one with the vent.

So far, it is me and 2 guys... and Hubby and SS have some killer digestive systems! Apparently it is hereditary.... My MIL was also the only woman in her house, and said it was horrible.

I get those $1 air fresheners that are shaped like a cone, and you twist them open to control the amount of scent they put off... that helps sometimes.

Crys said...

Ha ha, Oh Trust me ladies! As soon as I published that post I busted out my purple duct tape and taped down the "Just light" light switch. It is no longer an option.

I think the only reason Younger Boy uses it is because it is labeled with the word "poop" and we all know how much he loves the word "poop." Ha ha

Smirking Cat said...

My stepkids love spraying air freshener after they use the bathroom. I have to buy a new can each week! They also like running in after someone else has used the bathroom and making a big show about spraying lots and lots of air freshener to let that person know they do not appreciate the scent that was left behind.

Anonymous said...

There have been some magnificent adventures with air freshener in our stepfamily.

We use an all-natural citrus oil based spray freshener, which is strong and VERY effective. The boys are generally fairly reliable with using it - they like spraying things (of course) and they also like the smell.

One day, Boys B and C were in the bath together and had been suspiciously quiet for a long time, when my partner heard what started as muffled sobs and quickly became loud wailing.

After close questioning, he eventually got out of them that they had decided that since bottoms are where bad bathroom smells start, they should just cut to the chase and spray air freshener directly on the "problem areas".

And I mean Right Up Between The Cheeks.

Painful, but utterly priceless!

Anonymous said...

This was funny. Our teens have taken things a little further...my stepson regularly calls my daughter into the bathroom to see his "monster" poops when he is done. She, of course, chooses not to go see.

dearjenn said...

Classic! You had me cracking up. The poop light. I dig it!

At one point I had one of those Glade sensor air fresheners and it was nice- it would automatically spritz 30 seconds after it detected movement but then would automatically lock out the auto feature for 30 minutes (in case multiple users hit the area one right after another). There was also a manual feature for especially pungent issues.

Hope the duct tape does the job!

Anonymous said...

I love that you did a post about the poop light! Too funny!