Thursday, December 17, 2009

Actions Cause Reactions

My Editorial Directior had a post it on her desk that said “Actions Cause Reactions.” It had become my mantra almost two years ago when I had first noticed it. It helped when it came to dealing with a lot of difficult people both in and out of the workplace. It has continued to be my mantra into my new life as an instant mother in a new family.

I’ve decided to look at “this” in a whole new light.

First off – I’ve concluded that I got so heated because Jane lied and tried to manipulate. There’s nothing I dislike more than a liar and a manipulator. Generally I cut those types of people out of my life because I have no room for those types of people. However, considering I signed myself up to participate in the packaged deal – She’s the fine writing at the bottom. Damn – Right?

So that brings me to this other saying I’ve learned throughout life to embrace over the years.

“If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude.”
– Maya Angelou

And I’ve come to realize that I can’t change Jane. But I can control how I see and perceive things. So my new perspective on this Christmas is that FH and I will be able to spend our first holiday together with each other.

I’m going to embrace the opportunity to spend a special day with the loving, wonderful man I have given my love and trust to. We will get to spend time with the boys later, and I’m OK with that. But in the mean time I will cherish and take advantage of the opportunity to sit back with FH and a cup of wine and enjoy some time together – Just the two of us (and the cat).

10 comments:

*Marie* said...

And the cat. Mustn't leave out the cat.

Seriously though, I think your attitude is respectable. It's going to help you see things in a more positive light, and you will feel better for it. Good for you.

Stephanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Awesome!

BF almost fell into a funk last year as he would not be spending *actual* Christmas which his daughter. However it's not the actual date that she's going to remember when she get's older, just that Christmas happened.

The Step In Mom. . . said...

Both of these ladies are right, and it will be ok. Plus you know if one of the kids so much as sneezes she will be sending them back you way because they might be sick. Enjoy the time alone, and make your *own* traditions with hubby.

Anonymous said...

Yes, make your own traditions. Let the maddening frustrations of dealing with a liar and a manipulator go, and enjoy the holiday. I don't get to see my own kids until 1:00 p.m. on Christmas. I have decided to make some new memories with my hubby while I wait.

Anonymous said...

I love that quote. I think that's an awesome attitude, and you will have a wonderful Christmas if you can just ignore Jane as much as possible.

Anonymous said...

Interestingly, for all my own families' dirking around to make sure we have the kids this Christmas (it's our turn) I kinda wish I could just chill out with the Man instead of honing my high-stress kidwrangling skills.

The grass is always greener, it seems!

dragonflymama said...

Good for you. It's true you cannot change the "others," but you can change yourself. So it's good to focus on that. And sometimes it's the best we can do.

Rachael said...

I like your mantras. When life starts to get a little dirty, it's important to take a step and put things in perspective. Keep doing what you're doing - it's awesome. And enjoy your precious time with your loved one. :)

D said...

Just found your blog! Thank you for sharing! I look forward to reading more.