Monday, December 14, 2009

Let The Holiday Festivities Begin!

This last weekend FH and I decided we should get into the swing of celebrating the holidays. Saturday FH took the two older boys out to pick out a Christmas tree. It’s cute and small and doesn’t overpower our apartment.

Last year we had to get a small tree to put up high on a table because Fat Cat is notorious for trying to climb Christmas trees. This year we got another small tree, but Nasty Cat is the only cat we have to keep an eye on since Fat Cat went back to live with my parents.

In following tradition with last year we brought home ornaments for the boys to decorate. At the moment all of the ornaments we have are the ones that we have made either here as a family or that the boys have made at school. Considering it’s a small tree our homemade ornaments fill it up quite nice. This year we brought home wooden stars for the boys to paint. Then we posted a photo of them from this year and put their name and the year on the back.

We also picked out a new patch for our stockings – Another tradition that we started last year. Since Jane had all of their stockings and my personal stocking is with my parents we thought it might be a nice idea to get new stockings for everyone and to put a patch each year. In my opinion they’re all really cute and I think the boys like being able to help decorate and choose what they would like on theirs. This year I added a sparkly martini glass patch to mine.

And we started one more new tradition. This year we decorated a gingerbread house. When I was little my sister and I would get to help decorate one with my dad and from what I remember it was a lot of fun. The boys hadn’t had the opportunity and both FH and I thought that they’d like to do one. I looked up a couple of recipes and finally decided that it wouldn’t hurt anyone to by a pre-made kit.

So last night the boys all took turns working together to put decorations on the house. It was really nice to see that the three of them were able to take turns and decide upon designs together. It was a refreshing moment from the usual bickering. FH even got in on the action by placing one gum drop on the roof, while I was the mistress of the icing.

Although as much fun as the boys had decorating I think their favorite part was when we were done and I let them lick up some of the frosting that I put on a plate.

Have any of you created any new traditions to do as a new family? I’m curious to see what other things blended families do together to create new holiday traditions.

And some holiday photos for your viewing enjoyment!

Middle Boy painting his ornament:


Our tree:


The finished gingerbread house:


And by popular demand! Stockings!


Last year's patches were the fish. This year he wanted the owl.


And mine! Last years were my purple flowers. This year the sparkly martini glass which FH found for me. I was going to get some ladybugs but FH found the perfect patch!

11 comments:

*Marie* said...

I love your tree! And the idea of putting patches on the stockings is really cool. I'd love to know more about that.

Hubby and I have a simple tradition. We have a snow globe for every year we have been together. So far, they are all the JC Penny Mickey Mouse ones.

Eyes Wide Open said...

The tree is adorable!!! I agree with Marie, I love the patch-on-the-stocking idea. So cute! Pictures please! We don't really have any traditions...maybe we should start some!

Crys said...

OK ladies, I've uploaded some stocking photos! :)

The Step In Mom. . . said...

The stockings are so cute! I love the martini patch. We always make cookies with the Kid, and every year we have Christmas Eve at our house and invite both sides of the family.

Eyes Wide Open said...

Yum, martini! I might have to adopt that patch idea...only The Kid has a special stocking. Husband and I have generics...this would be a great way to jazz up our stuff.
Thanks for sharing!

*Marie* said...

Thanks for the pictures! I love the idea, and I think I'll look into it next year when we need new stockings since we've have a new family member. Thanks for the fantastic idea.

Anonymous said...

I love that you're getting the kids involved with arts & crafts projects and starting new family traditions. Your tree and stockings are fabulous!

Anonymous said...

One of our traditions is to draw names to stuff each others stockings. This year I get to stuff my step sons stocking. Oh what fun I am going to have...heh heh heh.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness you are far more organized than us. While the present may have been bought and largely wrapped, the rest of the christmas crap is still in the garage

Rachael said...

I love your stocking tradition! That's so cute.