Friday, February 27, 2009

A Confession of Loneliness

"Peyton: Is it me? Am I the reason people always leave? Am I the reason all these things keep happening to me? Maybe I'm just destined to be alone.
Lucas: It's not you, and you're not alone. But eventually you're going to have to be.
Peyton: No, you're right. I can do it."
-Where Did You Sleep Last Night, One Tree Hill

Loneliness....

Loneliness is something I have lived. I’ve felt alone when I shut everyone else out while I gave into and then fought my eating disorder. I’ve felt alone when I moved to Michigan and found myself miles and miles away from my home. I’ve felt alone when I was in Oregon and fought another battle of abuse. I’ve felt alone when I moved back to Southern California and felt out of place. All these times I've felt alone was because I refused to let anyone else in. I felt alone because I put up a wall of pure steel and ice all around me. I dated guys and made great friends, and still felt like I had to protect myself.

Then my fiancé and I found each other again. It was like I had waited a lifetime to finally feel the love and trust and compassion that I feel now. It was like a warm flame that melted me from the inside out. It was like a warm relaxing bath that engulfed my soul and put me at ease. And it wasn’t that I felt all alone anymore, but for the first time it felt that I didn’t have to protect myself from someone. And I let him in.

And now, now I feel a different kind of loneliness. I don’t feel like I have to live this new life alone. I don’t necessarily feel out of place – and yet I do.

This loneliness sucks. I feel it whenever my fiancé goes to scoop up one of the boys. I feel it when we visit with family members on his side. I feel like I stick out. I feel like I belong in a Sesame Street segment of “Which one of these things is not like the others? Which of these doesn’t belong?” And it’s not that I don’t belong, I do. I know I do. But I still feel like I don’t. I don’t quite know how to explain this loneliness.

I’ve tried to talk about it to my fiancé. I tell him I feel like I stick out like a sore thumb. I feel like I don’t blend in. I feel like I’m the damn live-in nanny. I hate this feeling, and no matter what I’ve tried I can’t shake it. It’s kept me up late at night at times. And I truly know that yes, it takes time. But I still can’t help but wonder if I will ever feel like I fit in with this family.

I do all this reading that focuses on the children’s lives, how dismantled and traumatic and raw a divorce is for them. And it’s true. I’ve seen it with my own eyes. I’ve never experienced it, and no, I can never understand what it’s like to be a child of divorce. But I've seen it. I've been sensitive and aware to it.

I think I feel like I don’t fit in because I literally was not a part of making this family. I wasn’t here from the start. My life feels dismantled, torn apart and raw. I feel like I'm being forced to experience divorce (even though I know I had a choice in whether to get into this relationship or not). I guess it comes back to the whole "I thought I knew what I was getting into but I really had no idea" realization of every stepmom's experience I've read about.

It’s like when I was little and I had all the Care Bears in my collection – except for Love-a-Lot bear. My Grandma made me a Love-a-Lot. And she belonged, she completed the Care Bear family, but she stuck out. She stuck out in a special way, but just by looking at her you knew that she was not from the same line as the other Care Bears. That’s the best way that I can explain it, describe it and make sense of it.

I remind myself, daily, that life is rushing at me at a rapid pace right now. I remind myself that eventually it has to slow down. And that I’m not alone even though I feel like I am at times.

8 comments:

Yo said...

wow. this is one of my favorite posts of yours. beautiful.

i get it. when ramona's mom comes over to pick her up, they have their own language. even with pete. all three of them have this familiarity. this undercurrent of belonging. and i feel it.

and it twists a little bit. but we get to create something new, something that belongs to us, to all of us.

Heather T said...

What a thoughtful and beautiful post. It's hard to build a family when everyone's already there, already has an identity, already has an idea of what their family was like. But in a sense, you are part of this family -- the new family you are all building together. The family the kids and your fiance had with his first wife is not a unit anymore. And though that's painful, it can't be put back together. It's not that you're trying to fit into that family, it's that you all together are building a new family.

Everyone will tell you it takes time (Lord know I know that!) and there will be ups and downs. But hopefully over time you'll notice that your feelings of loneliness are less frequent.

Mrs M said...

Crys - Honey, I love this post for many reasons. I love this post because quite frankly you can not see the wood for the trees. I love this post because it shows how beautiful a person you are. As an outsider looking in I find it glaringly obvious that you, yes little you, are the backbone of your family. You are that one piece of sticky tape that holds everything together. You are the one that gives, gives, gives. And I think speaking for all Mums, you are the one that feels exactly like the rest of us - welcome to motherhood!!
In all honesty I think you are the one that looks for the differences, because what you are being faced with now is challenging everything you have ever faced before - you have no need to feel inferior or insecure because from what I have been reading (and I like it, a lot!) you are an amazing parent to those boys and a gem of a partner to your DP. I think they should write a post entitled 'Why are we so blessed?'

Respect to you hon, Mrs M

dearjenn said...

Oh Crys. If there was anything I could do or say to help you I definitely would, but your honesty and emotion are so well-worded I just don't think I can say anything better.

You do belong. You are the glue holding all the other parts together. Glue doesn't look like the broken pottery it holds together but when it bonds you don't even see the difference.

Hugs!

Rachael said...

I guess it doesn't matter where you are, loneliness catches us all at one point or another. I'm sorry you're struggling to find your place right now, but from what you write, you are a loved and critical part of your family. I hope that everything fits together for you soon and that the lonely feeling fades away quickly.

Smirking Cat said...

You do belong. You were chosen to share their lives and become a family with them, to build something uniquely your own. They have a past they can share with you in stories and pictures, and you have a future you will all build together. It will eventually be woven together with all of held gently together. Having a special place doesn't make you alone!

Minnie said...

When reading this I was first reminded of the way things used to be in my own family. What I know now is that we, as step parents are often the glue that holds these shit shows together.

Anonymous said...

At least you can take comfort in the fact that you're totally normal. Everyone feels this way sometimes, stepmoms, maternal moms, friends, boyfriends/girlfriends, whatever. (I'm going to overlook the fact that you opened this post with a One Tree Hill quote...Really? C'mon, you're better than that!) Tomorrow's another day. See if my "9 Questions to Address a Setback" http://tenaciousme3.wordpress.com/2009/03/04/9-questions-to-address-a-setback/ help you get a fresh outlook at all.