Monday, March 28, 2011

A Ray of Sunshine Indeed

I wanted to share a little something about my life now as a stepmom who now has a child of her own.

Before I used to get really upset because I felt out of the loop when it came to my instant family. FH and the boys shared that parent-child bond that I could tell was missing in my own relationship with them. I also, and still do, feel that sometimes I just don’t belong or that something is off.

I’m aware I’m their mother, yet I’ll never be their mother. Or at least at this moment in their young lives they’re just not going to “get it” how life has dramatically changed for the better with me in their lives. I won’t lie. I’m often the parent of authority. I don’t forget that they’re children but I expect them to learn responsibility, respect and independence along the way.

Often, and usually with Middle Boy, I get the feeling that I’m loathed or that I’m a big pain in the ass. And I might just be a pain in the ass as I expect them to learn to do things like make their bed, be kind to each other and to make the right choice even when they really want to do the sad choice (like hit your brother).

Also, since I don’t have that parent-child bond with them it’s sometimes hard to connect. I guess what I’m saying is that unconditional love just isn’t there from them. They might have a love for me, but it’s not the same.

Now that I have Baby JC my life feels truly blessed. Not just because I know have this amazing opportunity and gift of giving birth and having a child that I created, but I know what it feels like to have that unconditional love back. In other words, I don’t feel completely alone. If anything, having her has sort of helped me and the boys to either relate to each other or feel a bit more validated as a family.

And even on those days that I feel completely left out due to their actions, I still have her to help make me feel better. I’m not saying that every stepmom should go out and have kids. Not everyone is ready to have kids. Some people just never are.

But for me, having her around has helped me to feel less stressed and anxious over having stepkids. She also helps me to emphasize with them more. I look at her and I am able to calm down if I am angry, think about the fact that they are my kids and treat them the same way that I would think I would treat her.

I hope that makes sense. It’s hard to describe the way her being in my life has helped me to be a better stepmom. She is definitely a ray of sunshine in my life though. I think I’m a better person because of her.

This is Baby JC at 4 months old. She will be 6 months next week.

6 comments:

Amy said...

She's adorable!

*Marie* said...

I completely understand what you mean. 100%. *hugs* to you.

LuckyNo27 said...

Another concern--of mine anyway--is that if my man and I split up, I'm just a stepmom. And although I take care of the boys as my own, because in a way they are my own, if we split up there would be no actual basis for them to visit with me. What are they going to do? Visit their mom one weekend then me the next?

And although you have been nothing short of family before, having JC really does tie you together. No matter what happens now, you are all tied together by that sweet little girl. (Who, did I mention, is totally adorable!)

Eyes Wide Open said...

Beautiful post. And, that is why my miscarriages have totally broken my heart. I mean, losing a pregnancy is always hard but as a stepmom, my hopes of becoming a "real" part of the family, a "real" mother were ripped away. I hope one day I'll be as lucky as you!
xo

perdido said...

awwwwwww so beautiful! you are truly blessed

dragonflymama said...

Sweet- glad to hear it!