Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Struggling with the Negative Attitude

As you may remember for me 2009 is The Year of the Coffee Bean … a.k.a The Year of Being a Positive Influence. Along with that you may remember that I’ve really been struggling in connecting with and working with Middle Boy. Today was another one of those Bang Head on Wall days.

Older Boy and Middle Boy started school yesterday at their new elementary school. Older Boy is in fourth grade and has already made some friends. Middle Boy is in first grade and has told us that he has still not made any friends.

Now trust me when I say that I have been trying ever so hard to be helpful and positive. I’ve pointed out that it’s the second day of school and that sometime making really good friends just takes a couple of days. Both Older Boy and I have given suggestions to Middle Boy on how to go about talking to kids in his class – like asking if he can play; asking if the other kid would like to play; asking the kid simple things like what is your name, who is your favorite transformer … blah, blah, blah.

Middle Boy informed me this morning that he hasn’t tried to make friends with any of the kids in his class because all the kids in his class are ugly.

Can I tell you how hard it was to hold back that frustration and disappointment? Now don’t get me wrong. I clearly remember getting angry with a friend back in first grade and telling her “Well you can’t come to my birthday party!” Now that was the ultimate insult. Whether I planned on inviting her or not, being told that you’re not invited to someone’s birthday party is an absolute diss! But to hear that negativity come out of his mouth seriously made me feel rather saddened and disappointed inside.

I really wasn’t quite sure how to respond to it. I calmly told him that was not a very good reason to not try to be friends with someone. Then the following conversation occurred:

Me: How would you feel if someone said “I don’t want to be friends with Middle Boy because he’s ugly.”
MB: I would feel sad.
Me: How do you know that some of those kids don’t want to be your friends?
MB: I don’t know.

I’ve talked to my future hubby about trying to talk to Middle Boy about this.

I completely understand being the new kid at school. I’ve been there both as a kid and an adult. I understand being shy. But I seriously have a hard time understanding this sort of negative and hurtful view. And lately it seems that Middle Boy is all about not giving a darn about other people’s feelings. I also can't tell if he just doesn't want to put forth the effort to try and make friends or if he's perhaps throwing his negative "I'm better than thou" attitude at these kids. Because if someone said and did the sort of things that he's been doing lately, I wouldn't want to be his friend either.

The other statement he said to me today included:

Me: So did you get to meet your teacher today? (His first day of school he had a sub.)
MB: Yes.
Me: What was she like? Is she nice?
MB: She’s almost fat.
Me: Oh Middle Boy, I hope that you didn’t say that out loud to anyone …Especially in front of her.
MB: I didn’t.

I’m sure there is a parenting book out there on it. If it was clearly labeled “How to work with the Middle Child of Divorce who is in the ‘I don’t care about other people’s feelings’ stage” then I’d be all set. But I don’t think that any publisher out there would be willing to publish that title.

I’m a little at a loss. I want to think that this is a normal stage for kids to go through. I want to think that there is a really simple and easy solution for this. But at the moment I’m really stumped at how to approach it. I’m Ms. Positive Attitude here. I’ve been doing really, really well with being Ms. Positive Attitude. But Ms. Positive Attitude is getting a little frustrated with Mr. Negative and Rude. And at the same time I’m wondering what other factors could be contributing to this attitude. If it’s something along with Middle Child Syndrome; if it’s something with being a child of divorce; if it has anything to do with the type of attitude that Jane has been an example of. Maybe it’s a combination of all of the above, or maybe not. Maybe this is just something every parent has to deal with once in a while when the right personality is unwound in a child.

Sometimes I think being an instant mom blows. My fiancé has been a parent for about 9 years … I’ve been a parent (and with Jane’s help I’ve had to become a main staple parent) for almost 12 months. [That’s right. My one year anniversary as an instant mom is coming up on September 14th.]

Does anyone want to get a martini with me and unwind?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that's a normal phase. My stepdaughter went through it when she was around 5 years old. She actually called me "fat" and it made me cry. After she saw how it hurt my feelings, she never said it again.

I think you're doing a great job. Pointing out how HE would feel if he was on the receiving end of his insults is the only thing you can do. He needs to be aware that his words can hurt people.

Hang in there!

La Belle Mere said...

Oh I wish I were closer! I'd be there for that martini like a shot!!

One thing I would say is that you are doing that classic stepmother thing of shouldering the responsibility of "fixing" this boys problems. Try not to take it all on board as your responsibility.

Hopefully he will grow out of it soon.

LBM xxx

Rachael said...

Hang in there! I'm sure it's a rough adjustment for him. (Here's a virtual martini on me. --<)

Heather T said...

I'm guessing it's pretty hard for kids to deal with a difficult social situation, i.e., a hard time making friends. Whatever the source of the problem is, it seems pretty normal that the kid would cast the whole situation in a negative light (fat teacher, kids are ugly, etc.) And as we all know with kids, the whole thing could be over in two days.

As for the shock and frustration of being an instant mom, hang in there. It's tough for everyone. I mean, I speak as the one who had to observe it in our stepfamily, but I can sympathize with both the stepparent and the kid since I love them both.

And you have a martini from me, any variety you like ;-)

Smirking Cat said...

Can I take a vodka instead of a martini?

I agree that asking how he would feel regarding his own comments is a good idea, even if it doesn't sink in at first.

Yo said...

dollface, i would like more than one martini with you, please.

i wish i had advice for you. patience? perserverence? i'm sure that word is spelled wrong.

you'll get through this. maybe it's easy for him to make excuses than try to make friends?

Anonymous said...

"Wow, Middle Boy, that's quite an attitude to have. How's it working out for you? Are you having any fun at school? I think if it were me I would try to be a little more positive, just so I could have more fun. But it's your choice. Let me know how things work out, I'll like you no matter what!"

Then leave the problem in his lap. It is his to fix.

It is good that you are concerned about the situation, it shows you care. Real moms always care.