Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Singing My Preschool Woes

Do you remember your younger childhood schooling days? I’m talking preschool here. I went to a parent co-op preschool and I have such vivid memories of playing there. I remember some of the activities, I remember the songs, I remember my teachers, and I even remember getting in trouble for kissing a boy under a table.

Anyway, Younger Boy is at the age where he is definitely ready for preschool. He knows his colors, he knows his shapes, he knows numbers 1-5 (sometimes he knows 6 and sometimes not. It depends on the day.) And he is so, so, so excited to go to preschool. He asks me everyday if he’s going to preschool and I always have to let him down.

I feel horrible telling him not today. I’ve been trying to make sure he has things to do that aren’t just playing with Thomas and Friends, because at some point in the morning Thomas just isn’t fun anymore. I also refuse to park his butt in front of the TV for more than a half hour. We have play-doh and finger paints and Lincoln Logs – and that’s all great and all but it just doesn’t replace play time with other kids and the opportunities I know an outside preschool teacher can provide.

Now that we’ve moved and are a bit more settled in we’ve really been researching preschools. Unfortunately I can’t consider the more affordable parent co-op preschool because I just can’t take 3 to 4 days off of work every month to help out. So I’ve been looking into the life of private run preschools and our city’s preschool programs.

I’m waiting to hear back from the city’s preschool program because at this point, it looks like it’s the one program we might actually be able to afford. Because whoa – preschool is expensive.

I had no idea just how expensive it was until I started to look at prices. One preschool we looked at, and toured and really liked is about $250/month for a two day a week program. And that was one of the cheaper programs. Others we looked at want $135/week for a two day session!

I don’t want to deprive him of a great opportunity to be social with other kids and to go to preschool, but $250 a month is really cutting into our budget. And considering we’re trying to save up to pay for the wedding, I just don’t realistically see how we can afford it. I’m really sad about this, but I’m not giving up hope.

And trust me that I would ask Jane for help funding if I thought it was one: realistic and two: she could/would help out. But considering that she just can’t afford to help with anything I don’t even want to take a step down that road. Besides, according to their court papers the only thing that is written that she is expected to pay for is medical expenses that go beyond what FH’s medical insurance will cover.

So far the city-run preschool program is the next affordable option, but if not then I’m looking into possibly daycare options. I’d like to at least get him into some social setting so that he’ll have that opportunity to play with children that aren’t his brothers. I know how important social interaction is when it comes to children. Who am I kidding? I know how important social interaction is to adults! I’d also love to be able to send him off to be social without me there. I think that is an important part of him learning his independence and learning more about himself.

Anyway, those are my preschool woes. Wish me luck, and if you have any other ideas of how I can affordably get some socialization in for Younger Boy I’d love to hear them.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never sent my SD to preschool because we were poor as church mice. The only kids she played with were her brother and kids at church. So don't feel bad.. you're not alone. Some churches have mom's day out programs. The public library may have story-time. There's always the local playground. You may just have to get creative.

Heather T said...

I would say that this is the perfect situation to realize that you are your child's best teacher. Seriously. Younger Boy learned all the things he knows so far at home. He'll continue to learn at home, maybe even better than he would at preschool.

As for socialization, try to get out and hit the playgrounds and other places that preschoolers hang out with their parents. I always hear this line, something like, 'just start conversation with other parents.' When I hear it, I think, I don't want to get out of my shell and my comfort zone. But indeed, this is the way to meet parents of kids YB's age and how to find free social activities.

In the end, YB will not get as many colds and illnesses since he won't be at preschool ;-)

dragonflymama said...

Oh I hear you! We went through the same situation. Preschool in our town is average 260$ for two mornings a week! Yikes! We did it for Peanut for about 4 months, to get him used to the idea of being away from me during the day. But, my suggestion is that you check out the HeadStart program in your area. I imagine there is one- though I don't know where you live. But that is what we ended up doing for Peanut.

It's state run preschool, 5 days a week, 5 hours a day. Of, course, you have to fit into the correct (read-low) income bracket. If you don't then you can't get in. But it's worth checking on, I'd say. So far peanut LOVES it, he is having fun, learning, being fed and completely occupied all morning long, and we do not spend a dime.
I think there is something to be said for government programs, but that's another story!

Anonymous said...

Our local library offers story time, preschool hour, and a craft hour on different days of the week. Maybe your library offers something similar?

Smirking Cat said...

I was thinking of the library thing too. Ours has a special children's program on Saturday mornings.

I applaud you for refusing to park him in front of a TV. It's great you keep him engaged, and I agree with Heather, you are a great teacher for him!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with figuring out preschool. You are very resourceful – I know you’ll come up with a great solution. Way to go, Super Mom!