Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Photo Shoot

We took the boys down to the Sears Portrait Studio to get photos done (we didn’t want to pay for school photos, and it was going to be a family photo shoot until the boyfriend *accidentally* had to cut his hair rather short and I refused to take photos with him until his hair grew back.)

I never quite realized how difficult it would be to take photos of an 8 year old, a 5 year old and a 2 (3 next Monday) year old.

Now don’t get me wrong, I never had the false impression that children would be perfect little listeners with the ability to sit still.

At my old position I had the opportunity of planning and executing a cat/kitten photo shoot. I never want to take professional photos of cats again. And I also participated in a reptile photo shoot (where I got bit by the snake – twice! And then took photos with the snake and my sister). I definitely don’t want to take professional photos of snakes – ever.

From the experience with cats, I figured kids would be no big problem. Pffff … I think it was more stressful.

They just really didn’t want to listen. The Younger Boy I expected it from, but not from the older two – Silly me. Exaggerations in everything – one would have thought that we were trying to torture them. And the photographer … well, I wish she had been a little bit quicker with that clicker button.

I finally stepped in with Younger Boy, had him positioned, he was looking at the camera, and I did the whole “1, 2, 3 – Lift hands up and dash off as fast as you can” and she still didn’t click that button. Rawrrrr! I guess it’s rather frustrating for someone that has been the photographer.

Regardless, we did end up with some really nice photos of the boys.

But, OH! The Frustration! It didn’t help that the boys must have all gathered together at some point and made a plan to try and push me to my limit with every sort of test imaginable. It was an ambush, and I was pretty peeved that I hadn’t at least been given the proper Declaration of War.

It seems to be like that a lot this last week. I about ran from the house, hopped in my car, and got the hell out of here. But I didn’t because I know that this is just all a part of the transition.

Man I really dislike this transition. I guess I’m just curious what others do to get away, to find their piece of mind, to relax. What do you do when you feel like you’re going to lose your mind and fear that you just might be going crazy?

I’ll have to come back to this when I’ve had a chance to unwind my brain a bit.

2 comments:

Smirking Cat said...

I garden. Read. Go for walks. And of course blog!

I have also learned that there are things worth getting worked up about, and things that are not. Sometimes it's hard to keep them straight, but when I do, my energy is going into the right place.

Anonymous said...

lol...pictures are an adventure all their own. The last time I had pictures scheduled for our 4 (imagine getting 4 to look at the camera) kids, BioMom dropped them off at our house...Nemo (8 at the time) bald as the day he was born. they had JUST, and I mean just, still had hair on his shirt, shaved his head. And not with the really short clippers, with a razor! Oh I was furious. I’m over it now...but we specifically DO NOT tell her about pictures anymore. our odds are better that the kids will show up presentable if she does not know we have something planed that she could ruin.