Saturday, October 2, 2010

The Boys and the Baby

One thing a lot of people ask me is how the boys feel about the baby. It always catches me as odd considering that for the most part we've been functioning as a rather healthy family unit for the past year and a half ... almost two years. However, I do know that some people just don't get it and I can't really hold that against them. Even I'm aware that blended family life isn't for everyone.

But as far as I can tell the boys are excited … especially Younger Boy. All of the adults that work with him at the school all already knew about his younger sister and her name. It was rather touching to me that he was so excited already.

Anyway, considering Jane had another baby two years ago I wasn’t sure how the boys would react to having a baby in the house. Older Boy has had the experience of having a preggo mom and new baby in the house. Middle Boy may or may not remember what life was like when Younger Boy was born. And Younger Boy is only aware of what life with a baby is like from the few times he was welcomed over to stay the night/weekend with Jane.

Their brother Trevor is now 3 years old, and they see him once a week (if Jane doesn’t cancel) for about two hours. From what they’ve told me, when they do stay the night over there their time is focused around whatever Trevor wants and doesn’t want to do. One time I was informed they watched Kung Fu Panda about 15 times over the weekend because Trevor really liked the movie.

I’ve been trying to have the boys involved with as much as I can. They help me with chores around the house. I talk with Middle Boy about all the possibilities of what she will be like because he likes to wonder aloud a lot about what she might be like. I’m rather glad that Younger Boy is older now because when Trevor was first born he had some baby envy – but who wouldn’t expect that. Especially when this new baby gets to live with Jane and get all her attention and Younger Boy has to have FH and I fighting for him just to get some attention. But from the amount that he talks about the baby I think that he is truly excited.

I was sure what Older Boy’s reaction really was until a couple of days ago when he asked if he could feel her move. She had chosen to take a nap at the moment so I told him I would let him know the next time she was going nutty in there. Luckily it happened Friday morning and at first he lightly put his hand on the baby belly. I know she’s big enough that even Nasty Cat can definitely feel her but a little pressure doesn’t hurt if you really want to feel some movement. So I pushed his hand down a little harder and she moved up toward his hand. He had a sparkle in his eye and a smile on his face and I felt one of those warm fuzzies inside.

Will their opinions change once a crying, pooping baby is actually in the house? Possibly, but it’s nice to know that they already love her and are excited to have her here to be a part of the family. I’m three days past the estimated due date right now and they’re already making a little poll of their own to guess which day she’ll finally decide to stop being stubborn and make her grand entrance.

6 comments:

Dana Thompson said...

I'm glad to hear The Boys are excited about the baby. This gives me tremendous hope in my life. As you know, I'm 34 weeks pregnant and when The Boy first found out, he was very jealous, and he's still a little jealous but he's coming around. I just hope my little girl will win him over when she arrives.

Please Please Please share what happens with your birth experience because I'm right behind you and could use the advice.

Good luck to you ;)

Yo said...

They are going to love her so much! This is going to be a great dynamic to watch over the years. Ohmygosh! Three older brothers?

I lovelovelove your new blog header. I've been out of the blogging loop :) I lovvvve it.

Anonymous said...

Also remember that you are teaching your step-sons how to be fathers (should they want to)

LuckyNo27 said...

I only have one child, but I have heard from other parents that including the other kids as much as possible really helps. Not just "get this" and "throw that away," but asking "what should baby wear today?" or "should we paint the room pink or purple?" can make a big different.

Soon enough, the boys will see her as "our baby" not just "Crys's baby".

dragonflymama said...

It's three days after this post- I hope she's here by now!!! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

There is something about big brothers and little sisters. You will get to watch how they want to protect her...even into her teen years. :-)