Thursday, November 5, 2009

He Duped Me!

I like to pretend that I can’t be fooled by the boys. I can almost always see right through their attempts to lie or manipulate the other brothers in situations. I always thought “I’ll be just like my mom and see through all the B.S.” Then I’m reminded of all the times that I duped my mom. There’s still stuff I’ve done that she doesn’t know about.

The best was a couple of year’s ago when my ex-highschool sweetheart’s stepmom (who loves me still) introduced her in a drunken swagger as “This is the mother of the girl that took my son’s virginity.” Oh yes, that was awesome.

Anyway, so I like to think that I can see through it.

And then there is the other night when I was tired, and cranky, and exhausted. And a whiny, tired, cranky Younger Boy came up to me holding out his toothbrush and tube of training toothpaste to me and says:

YB: Can you please put squeeze the toothpaste for me?
Me: Sure, OK, here you go.
YB: Thank you.

And as he walks away my future hubby says:

FH: So Younger Boy suddenly can’t do anything that he knows how to do?
Me: He doesn’t know how to squeeze out the toothpaste by himself.
FH: Oh yeah? He did it just fine by himself last night.
Me: Damn.

That little stinker duped me! You best bet he squeezed his own toothpaste out tonight when he tried it again. Ha!

6 comments:

Amy said...

I know that my kids have gotten one over on me a time or 300. I am equally sure that I don't want to know what some of those are now.

I pulled some over on my folks as a teenager. When my dad passed, we were all having the post dinner and my cousins started talking about some of my less proud moments to my kids. My mom, who was sitting at the next table over, also got an earful about some things she hadn't known about. Luckily, from 30 years this side of things, I could laugh about it as I hushed them before my kids got some ideas that they might not have thought of yet...

Smirking Cat said...

The kids get away with that with me too. Sometimes they just like us to care over them, fuss over them, do things they really can do themselves. My cat does the same thing! He meows and acts like he can't jump onto the bed anymore (he's 14 years old and I think arthritis has kicked in). And I'll pick him and baby him and put him on the bed. Then Gary will tell me "He just jumped on the dresser earlier with no problem" and gives me a knowing look, like "That cat so got you."

The Step In Mom. . . said...

The Kid used to do this to me. One of his chores is to fold the towels and put them away. When he started doing it, he told me he wasn't tall enough to reach the kitchen cabinet, so I let him put them on the counter. After awhile I realized "this child can almost look me in the eye!" if I can reach the cabinet, so can he!

*Marie* said...

lol It's pretty funny that he got you, but I think you handled it very well =) Thanks for sharing that parenting story.

Anonymous said...

Oh, the famous, "I can't reach it" and "I don't know how"! Amazing how the athletic prowess they display on the soccer field, and their technical brilliance on the computer, evaporates as soon as you ask them for help.

Anonymous said...

Kids will always try to dupe you. It's all part of the parenting game. Some of it is funny, some of it is aggravating. Take it all in stride--and LEARN from it, and you will be able to keep ahead of them...most of the time. ;-)