Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Learning Not To Take It Too Personally

This is something that has been on my mind about sharing from our vacation. Part of our trip we spent up in Oregon at my fiancé’s parent’s house. Now, don’t get me wrong. I love my almost mother-in-law. From the experience of having my dad’s mom live with us for a couple of months, and my friend’s crazy mother-in-law stories I am, In fact, ever so thankful that she is my almost mother-in-law. However, just as any mother does, she says things that really get under my skin at times.

I’m proud to say that I held my tongue on the “going all crazy on her” part and made a respectable “reason and logic” response to her in my reactions. My editorial director has a post-it note on her desk that said “Actions cause Reactions” and I have always kept that in my mind.

Incident One – You’re Too Hard On Them.
I believe we had just arrived after the long drive up to the middle of no where Oregon. Older Boy, who had gone up with FH’s sister, and their cousins were already in the pool. Middle Boy and Younger Boy of course wanted to join them. I asked FH to go get their swimming trunks. FH’s mother and sister were encouraging the boys to jump into the pool with their underwear on. Although a washer and dryer were available, I’ve been trying to teach the boys patience and insisted they wait until FH brought the swimming trunks out. I also very much wanted them to put sun block on before they got wet. Specifically Middle Boy who is about as fair as a piece of notebook paper.

“Just let them get in. You’re too hard on them,” FH’s mother said to me.

At this point I was really tired, and exhausted and a bit cranky. And frankly was in no mood to be undermined in front of the boys. However, I’m rather used to being told that I need to lighten up and I kept a stretched and tired smile on my face as I responded with, “Maybe so, but they need to learn to be patient. If I’m not consistent in what I expect of them then they’re not going to learn.”

With that said, Middle Boy and Younger Boy waited to put on their swimming trunks and sunscreen before they got in the pool. It’s frustrating to me when I ask them to do one thing and then an extended family member tells them “No it’s ok, do it like this.” They more of less look confused and don’t act until they’ve interpreted my reaction or permission.

Incident Two – You’ve Almost Taken Off A Few Times Already
I really couldn’t tell you what the conversation was about that this lovely statement occurred. I just remember the statement because it took every ounce of strength in me not to stand up and leave the room. The tone she used too was what really did it for me. I believe that the conversation was along the lines of FH’s mom telling me how happy she was that we’re a family, and that she hoped that I knew how important my presence was or something. All I really heard next was “Because you’ve almost taken off a few times already.”

The statement felt more like a red hot poker, and my temper flared. I felt the heat rising to my face. What I wanted to say was “What the hell is that supposed to mean?” I instead said nothing and just looked at her and raised an eyebrow.

I know that in the very beginning last year I told FH that if he didn’t start standing up to Jane then I was going to move out because I would be damned if I bent over backward to serve her every need and want.

I also know that there has been a moment or two when I was so incredibly angry that I walked out of the house, jumped in my car and took a drive. Mainly because if I didn’t walk away I would have said something I would regret saying, and I needed time to calm down and figure out just what I was so angry about.

But both those times, I never said that I was leaving the relationship or the family. I never said that I was quitting. I never said that I was out of here. I’ve thought “What the hell am I doing?” but I’ve never thought “OMG, I can’t take this anymore. I’m out of here.”

With my experience in customer service, I swallowed it down. After the initial shock of it passed and it rolled down my shoulder I changed to subject of the conversation. Heck, I really don’t remember what to. I obviously didn’t completely let it go. I’ve harbored it in (until my vent now) but it was one of those things that really just got under my skin.

So learning not to take it personally, whether it is intended to be a personal or not personal statement, is my next feat that I have decided I ought to be working on. I’ve had quite a bit of experience with it from Jane and the boys. Heck, even my own mother has given me a run for my money. But it is by far, not the easiest thing. I worked at it pretty good in the office. In the office letting it roll over my shoulder and not taking it personally was cake. Now if only I could transfer that to my home life.

7 comments:

Yo said...

mother in laws. for reals. geez. sheesh! and golly.

that's all i got. i feel your pain. good for you for taking the high road. i don't suppose it would be a possibility to talk to her?

because i couldn't imagine having a convo with my (sorta) mother in law about her underhanded comments and passive agressive behavior.

no siree, bob.

Anonymous said...

I think you handled it in a very smart, adult manner. Ignoring her remarks is probably the best thing you can do.

Anonymous said...

I think you handled both incidents in the best way possible. And if it makes you feel any better...those remarks would have gotten under my skin too!

Heather T said...

Omigod, mother-in-laws and stepfamilies and family visits, oh my.

I'll just drop this morsel in the bucket of things to chew on: My mother is not able to understand our stepfamily. She either thinks my husband (as a stepfather) is too strict with my daughter, or he is reacting out of some flaw in his past, or he can never effectively parent her because my daughter is the damaged child of a divorce, or, or, or....

In our situation, there is no long term path towards change because my mother inherently believes that our family is flawed by virtue of it not being an intact family. We can only limit the amount of time we spend with her.

I'm not sure if your soon-to-be mother-in-law has this same kind of bias, but if so, maybe you could try explaining that a stepfamily is always different than an intact family. Not worse, not more difficult, just different. And to lay off.

Smirking Cat said...

Stepmothers, I believe, are subject to far more criticism and commentary than any other parent. Is there a reason we are not allowed to become frustrated like any other parent? I think she was out of line, particularly to undermine you in front of the kids. I just remind myself that others truly have no clue what it is like, and I rate their commentary at what it is worth (generally, simply the uninformed words of someone who has never been in my position).

Anonymous said...

If it's any consolation, it sounds as if she treated you the same way many mothers-in-law treat their bio-mom daughters-in-law. Nice job with that calm-and-patient stuff.

Anonymous said...

What an important life lesson! I have to remind myself of that CONSTANTLY! Thank you!

I tend to take a lot of things personally that I shouldn't. I also think that this is more of a female issue. Rarely, if ever, have I heard my husband second-guess himself on interpreting someone's reaction to a comment he made or something he did.

Once you get into the habit of reminding yourself of this lesson though, it gets a lot easier. I’ve noticed I’ve already improved a ton. The professional world will tell it like it is a lot, and if you want to succeed, you have to learn to take it, digest it, and extract what you can learn from it.