Friday, November 21, 2008

Introspection And Fun

Kweenmama did a book meme and left it open for others to do, so I thought that since it’d Friday and we have the boys I’d do something fun.

Here are the instructions:

  • Grab the nearest book
  • Open to pg. 56
  • Find the fifth sentence
  • Post the text of the sentence on your blog with these instructions
  • Don’t dig for your favorite book, or the most intellectual one. It has to be the closest one.

So the closest book next to me would be some of my old college books on my bookshelf. I chose the one that is closest to my hand when I reach out since it’ supposed to be the closest one to you, and technically, it’s the closest one to me.

Book: Elements of Fiction Writing – Characters & Viewpoints by Orson Scott Card

Pg. 56, Fifth sentence: “Do you constantly find yourself exploring a character?”

Can you get any better than that? OK, maybe you can, but still. As much as I try not to explore Jane and why she makes the decisions she does, I find myself trying to rationalize her. Fortunately and unfortunately, I have the tools to do so. I about double majored in Sociology and Journalism. If I hadn’t been so burned out from college after six years, I probably would have stayed on an extra semester to finish up my Sociology major. But to the point, I have tools and the experience to explore and try to rationalize a person’s character.

I think the problem comes down to the fact that I really, really, really want Jane to be a good person. I really, really, really want her to be a good mother and to give the care to the boys that we do. But, I’m not trying to get too close to her. She has already shown her true colors on more than one occasion, and my conclusion is to stay away from her unless it’s a dire, real emergency. I would only be stirring the pot she so badly wants someone to stir. And I refuse to do so.

I also, obviously, have been exploring myself. Who I was, who I’ve become. What affects my own past experiences and choices make on the ones I make now. And how those experiences help me to choose which battle I’m going to fight and which ones I’m going to sit back and let glide over the surface.

And, I’ve currently been trying to work on not rationalizing too much because, man, that just stresses me out thinking too much. I need to work on having F-U-N. Something I’ve always needed to work on.

So, I know everyone is busy. So if you’d like to do the book meme, go for it! Oh, and you don’t have to do any introspection on it as I have. And I hope everyone enjoys their weekend!

4 comments:

Mrs M said...

Crys - If you've read any of my blog you'll see I've joined a group called The British Second Wives Club. Far from being a bitching forum, it has been my saviour. Have a look at the site - you may have something similar in the states? As for trying to suss out Jane - forget it, just when you think you've cracked it, they morph into an even deadlier version of their first selves!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for the link!

I like how you included some introspection with your book meme. I know what you are going through as you deal with the inevitable frustrations of dealing with the mom of the boys you have come to love. Believe me, I have tried to analyze the mother of my stepkids many times, and it always ends up in frustration. So many times I wonder why she can't just "get it."

Mrs M said...

Crys - My blog address has changed to alleop.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

What a great post. I'm going to do the meme, too! You have inspired me. And I thought your assessment of Jane was really wise.

Best,
Jacque
http://www.becomingastepmom.com