Thursday, November 4, 2010

5 Years Old

Younger Boy turned 5 years old last Wednesday. I can’t believe that he is now 5. His growth really makes me stop and think about just how much time and effort and love I have invested in my new life as a stepmom.

He was 2 almost 3 when I first moved in. He was still in diapers. He needed an adult to dress him. He definitely didn’t know how to read, write or spell. And now he’s 5. He can read, write, spell, add, count, dress himself, handle having responsibilities and he can wipe his own butt. He’s grown up a lot in the last 2 years that I’ve been living here.

I was a little bit irked that his mom didn’t call to wish him a Happy Birthday. So I’m going to pretend that she graced him with love and birthday wishes the following Saturday when he went over to celebrate his Aunt’s birthday and spend time visiting with her.

I was absolutely thrilled for him though that he received a couple of phone calls from his other Aunt and grandmas for his birthday. By the time my mom called to sing him the Birthday Song his face was glowing and he had the biggest smile on his face. I decided to bask in that instead of dwell on the ickyness that Jane hadn’t called. I don’t know why I thought she would considering she didn’t call either of the other boys on their birthdays either. I guess I’m just still frustrated that she doesn’t treat her kids the same. It bothers me more because I get hung up on hoping the boys don't notice she doesn't treat them the same either. And then I feel the pressure to put even more effort into them to make sure they don't notice she doesn't treat them the same. And that can get exhausting.

We celebrated the weekend before with a little get together with some of our friends and family. It wasn’t the kid-filled party we had anticipated but we all had a relaxing time hanging out. He wanted a Lego party thus I put some effort into trying to make a fabulous Lego cake.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

loving the lego and if I hadn't said so already, congrats on the little one.

She is gorgeous.

perdido said...

great cake!

Anonymous said...

Great job on the cake! I bet he loved it!

Anonymous said...

Just keep the love coming from your end. There's not much you can do about his "mother." My son didn't get a birthday present from his dad this year...thankfully he doesn't seem to remember that he didn't.

Anonymous said...

I agree with KM. Fortunately, you shower them with so much love that I doubt they are lacking and that's all that matters. Awesome cake!

dragonflymama said...

YOU ROCK- plain and simple. They'll always look to their birth mom to be "the one" but they'll always look to you for everything else, including real love. Congrats on getting him to age 5- he is a lucky boy.

Pam said...

I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but I have a similar situation with custody, birth mom, etc. No other kids though. But this "hoping the boys don't notice she doesn't treat them the same either". I know you don't want them to get their hearts broken, but there is only so much you can do about this. They WILL notice someday. They will be heartbroken. And hopefully they will be thankful you and their dad are there for them. It's sad, but it's not under your control, so don't stress yourself out about this. You are awesome, and that is obvious. Stay strong!

Vanessa said...

WOW! I am shocked she didn't even call...although I'm not sure why (I've been reading your blog for a while now). I agree - you are an awesome Mom!!