Friday, May 7, 2010

Toilet Bowl Water Games

I don’t know what caused it or influenced it or even brought forth the idea of it. Yesterday afternoon I walked into the kitchen to refill my water bottle when I glanced into the bathroom. And there in front of the toilet bowl stood Younger Boy. His pants partially pulled up, Thomas underwear sticking out, his right arm furiously swirling around inside the toilet bowl water.

Yet this wasn’t what horrified and disgusted me. I interrupted his water play with an “Excuse me?!? What are you doing?!?” He immediately withdrew his hand from the water in the toilet bowl, walked over to the towel that we all use to dry our hands after we wash them, and dried his hands.

That made me a bit sick to my stomach as I considered that maybe this wasn’t the first time the child has stuck his hands in the filthy toilet bowl water and dried them on the same towel the rest of us use. I then chose to believe that this was indeed the first offense.

Younger Boy was then instructed to wash his hands, with soap, a lot of soap. Twice.

I grabbed a paper towel and moved the toilet bowl watered towel to the dirty clothes basket and replaced it with another towel. I have since added an extra towel on the back of the door for my own personal sanity and health.

I then sent Younger Boy off for his nap and grabbed the Lysol can and sprayed anything and everything that one might touch with toilet bowl watered hands.

At dinner last night Younger Boy and I had a conversation.

Me: Younger Boy, should we put our hands in the toilet?
YB: No.
Me: What do we use a toilet for?
YB: To go pee.
Me: And?
YB: And to go poop.
Me: Do we play in the toilet?
YB: No.
Me: Do we put our hands in the toilet?
YB: No.

I’m going to hope that this was the first and last time Younger Boy will participate in the Toilet Bowl Water Games.

8 comments:

The Step In Mom. . . said...

Well at least he wasn't drinking from it.... :-) Did he ever say why he thought it was a good idea to play in the toilet?

Anonymous said...

Good luck! I have a friend whose 3 year old son consistently has made a game of flushing his underwear down the toilet. Apparently there's something about the toilet that is just mesmerizing to little guys : )

Anonymous said...

I don't know if any of my kids ever stuck their hands in the toilet bowl. I DID have a daughter who liked to unroll the entire roll of toilet paper into the toilet bowl and then flush it. So glad those days are over! :-)

LuckyNo27 said...

There's nothing like fishing toys, cell phones--or even little hands--out of the potty!

Amie

Eyes Wide Open said...

heheh...ew! Boys are funny.
I bet your DAUGHTER (!) won't be playing in toilets (unless her brothers stick her there...mine did).
I'm so excited for you!!! (Was just catching up)

Smirking Cat said...

I have learned to keep a separate towel in the bathroom just for me, after watching the kids wipe their mouths, wipe down the wet counter, and use the hand towel for pretty much everything but drying their hands!

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, to those of us without any kids, this post kind of terrified me! I will also choose to believe this was the first and only offense.

On another note, love the new header!

LuckyNo27 said...

Your readers miss you! I come by to check your blog every day but we haven't heard from you in a while. Hope the pregnancy is going okay. :)

Amie