Tuesday, May 25, 2010

New Candle Lady In Town

Some of you may remember that one of our biggest issues in being a family of five is financially related. Jane doesn’t pay us anything when it comes to the care of the children. She’s not required to based off of their divorce papers.

This is one of the frustrating things for me. I am THE caretaker and provider of the children (in addition to FH of course) yet I just don’t have those legal rights. I’ve learned not to dwell on it because it only further pisses me off when she pulls one of her demand tantrums. Luckily they’re rare and few in a year.

Last year FH tried to pick up a second job, but the hours and the pay just weren’t worth it. And I was going absolutely stir crazy being home with the boys all day during the weekend. In January and February I tried looking for a part-time serving job. I waitressed myself through college and made some pretty decent money. However, when I discovered I was pregnant I knew that waitressing was not in my future.

Enter Partylite Candles. I had hosted a party last year and I had kept in touch with the consultant. My sister in law ended up hosting a party last month and that was when I decided that I ought to try being a candle lady. That and I didn’t have to put any money down on the table to start off so that was a big plus in my book.

So for the last two weeks I’ve been working furiously to get parties scheduled, my personal website up, and take care of my family. All the while making sure I’m taking care of me and our little lady in waiting.

I’m really excited, mainly because I’m hoping this will give me a chance to get out of the house more often. Ever since I started working full time from home I’ve become a sort of hermit. I love work, and when work is in my house I just don’t leave it as often. And I’m hoping that we’ll be able to use the extra income to save up to put a down payment on a house. Because this little two bedroom apartment just isn’t going to hold all six of us for too much longer once the baby is born.

So wish me luck! If you would like to check out the website feel free to contact me (there is an e-mail link on my profile). And now that I’m more settled in I hope to be on more often. 2010 has definitely been a hectic year so far, but I have faith that I’ll get a better grip on it all eventually.

6 comments:

perdido said...

Being broke definitely sucks. It's weird that it is in their divorce papers - in my state it cannot be ordered that a parent not pay child support because that's what I asked for because my spouse was abusive and the Judge explained that the law says they have to pay something

Good luck with the candle business!!! If I ever get un-broke I will definitely buy one!

The Step In Mom. . . said...

I know how you feel... we just bought a house, and then my Hubby lost his job... so we are barely making it by.

You can go back to court and have it ordered that she pay child support. My Hubby and BM originally agreed not to pay any child support and split everything 50/50 and then she took him to court for CS, and now we pay for all of his expenses (she has to submit a receipt). But if you guys are already tight on money you need to weigh the benefits of court costs.

If Jane has a job, you might be able to have them automatically order to have it taken from her pay check.

Minnie said...

Good for you, I really hope you enjoy it. Not to mention make some extra cash.
Hope you're feeling well.

Anonymous said...

Why was she not ordered to pay child support if she is not the custodial parent? I would definitely be looking into making some changes! Even if it is an order that she pay 1/2 of all dr. and dental bills, school lunch, and school fees...that would at least be something.

LuckyNo27 said...

Sorry to hear that times are hard, but keep your chin up. :)

Although I'm sure you make it a point not to discuss these things in front of the boys, if they ever heard you say anything about the financial burden that comes along with them it would probably make them very sad.

There is something to be said for the parents who do what they for the children without worrying about who will pay for it. God will never put anything in front of you that you are not strong enough to handle. :)

Amie

dragonflymama said...

Good Luck! Sounds like a great way to make some money, and fun too!