Thursday, March 4, 2010

It Rhymes!

Younger Boy has really been excelling in the spelling words area. He has learned about compound words; although I can’t say that he understand the exact word “Compound Word.” But he’s learned that he can put little words together to make bigger words. He’s mastered such words as “cupcake,” “subway,” and “cat food.”

In addition to these bigger words he has also been learning about words that rhyme. Many times throughout the day I hear excitement in:

“Crys! Bed, Shed! They rhyme!”

“Mouse, House! They rhyme!”

And various other rhyming word combinations. He’s also starting to learn new words from rhyming words. For example we were in the car one day trying to think of all the different words that rhyme with bug. He started switching the “b” out with other letters.

From switching out single letters, he started switching in letter combinations like “ch,” sh,” “st,” etc. He learned that chug rhymes with bug, but that stug isn’t really a word –
Even though it rhymed. Which brings us to tonight’s experience.

There we were. In the middle of a restaurant. He was happily eating his ice cream. He had spelled the word “hat” for us multiple times. Hat by the way is his most favorite word ever. When out of no where he announces out loud:

“I can spell shat! S-H-A-T!”

FH and I looked at each other.

“He didn’t learn that from me.” I mumbled as my face dove into my hands to try and contain the laughter that wanted to bust out. FH just shook his head as he mumbled “We’ll, it is past tense.” Can I just say that we were both dying from holding in the laughter.

I think I shall wait to see if he spells it again in which I’ll let him know that “shat” isn’t really a word. And instead we should try the word “shut” or even better we can stray away from substituting that vowel and make the word “shout.”

You have to love the things that come out of those little, rapidly growing brains.

8 comments:

The Step In Mom. . . said...

Well at least he was rhyming words with hat and not hit... I think you might have got some looks from the other diners after that one :-). It is great to see he is so excited about learning!

Anonymous said...

haha that's priceless.

I can remember when my stepdaughter was learning to read the word "as" and it came out "ass." We all had a giggle over that one.

Minnie said...

LOL! I love it.
I'll bet you guys were dying.

Stepmomma Love said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stepmomma Love said...

LOL That is the BEST! The same thing happened to us with the word 'duck.' Which rhymes with 'truck' which rhymes with - f... well, you know. When my husband said, "thats not a very nice word to say," the look of confusion on her face was even more hysterical when she blurted out " whats wrong with the word TRUCK??" We both had to leave the room!

D said...

I adore this type of thing. The husband and I even bought a little notebook to write these funny quotes down in. The kids even get a kick out of reading the funny things they say. :-)

MiChelly said...

My Little Bird is working with word families and he gets so excited when he actually remembers them. But it is fun to hear them now that his front two top teeth are missing.

Anonymous said...

Definitely do what Not Mom said! Write these things down in a notebook. The kids love to read them later on. I'm speaking from experience.