Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Big Changes Are On The Way

I’d like to start off with the fact that I loved my vacation. For those that haven’t caught on or just haven’t been reading my blog long enough, I’m a bit of an overachiever workaholic. I love work. I love projects. And I also apparently welcome the high stress of customer service. We had to make a "Crys is Out of the Office" plan after my incident with Nasty Cat’s bite. Being out for two days of work with no back up plan was disastrous, and trying to catch up from that was horrendous. The point is that there was a back up plan this time, and I was able to let any work cares float away. For once, while on vacation, I was able to forget about work and relax and have fun. And it was wonderful and joyous and blissful. (Well almost … I don’t know if anyone can actually totally say that and mean that when it comes to staying at your almost in-laws for a couple of days. But that’s another blog entry.)

And back to reality … we need to find a new place to live ASAP. I hate the city we live in. I can’t remember if I’ve mentioned it before but the city that both my fiancé and I grew up and currently live in has held the record for highest homicides … I’m sure multiple times. I grew up in the ghetto where my father’s family house (and a few other kind Filipino families) had the neighborhood go to crap around them as drug dealers moved in. And I do not feel safe here. I was reluctant to move back, but in order to provide the boys with a stable environment I did. We live in a better part of town than that I grew up in, but I do not like it here.

I also do not like the fact that Older Boy has changed schools so much. However, I am all about transferring him to a better learning environment, a stronger learning environment and a safer neighborhood. We HOPE to only have at least two more moves in our future: one to our next place and one to the house that we hopefully will be able to afford at some point after the wedding.

So we’ve been furiously looking up safe and affordable places to live. School starts at the end of August though, and I’m really feeling the pressure to find a place for sure. I’m also getting highly anxious about the updates to the Parenting Plan that we’ll have to figure out and try to work out with Jane.

Last night I typed up the August plan and realized that the last week would have to include whatever changes we’ll be making. FH has already notified Jane that we’ll be moving. I’m going to be looking over the divorce paperwork to make sure that we’re not forgetting anything important that we ought to be doing. But I don’t think she’s really grasped the changes that are going to have to happen.

We’ve been catering to her this past year and have sort of had to pull nails out to get her to drive down here (the whole 20 or so minutes). We’ll be moving a bit further away and across the bridge in the Bay Area. And I’m telling you now, I’m willing to pay the $4 bridge toll once a week, but I’m not willing to drive all the way to her place every week. The options we’re presenting to her are to either meet halfway at Jolie’s every week or to rotate weeks. So she’d drive to our place one week and we’d drive to her place the next and so forth.

I’m also trying to save some money this month by having us rotate driving trips anyway. I’m just not all about driving to her place three times in a span of five to seven days. Either way you look at it, gas adds up. And it would be nice if Jane could share this with us to help cut down on gas. So in addition to the calendar I typed up three things that FH and Jane need to decide upon. Neither will give either of them a break over the other. I honestly sat down and made it fair. No one is really getting the short end of the stick here when it comes to driving. And the boys won’t be getting any less time to spend with her. In fact, if Jane agrees to meet halfway and makes the effort to get there on time (and stay the entire time) they should be gaining an hour to spend with her.

I really hope that she does agree to meet halfway at Jolie’s. My hopes are that if she has to leave her computer game to drive down to meet us, then she’ll be forced to be in an environment where she has to interact with the boys and not just put on a movie or the television and jump back on the computer. I do realize they are just hopes and at Jolie’s Jane still has the ability to not interact with them. I still just can’t grasp why she doesn’t want to try and spend time with them. I guess I have to remember that she never really did want to spend time doing fun and nurturing things with them even when she lived with them.

Anyway, to welcome myself back I have two things on my mind. One is finding a home fast and the other is to try and get Jane to realize that big changes are on the way and she can’t sit on her butt playing video games anymore.

8 comments:

Smirking Cat said...

Good luck house hunting!

The driving thing has always been such an unnecessary point of contention. What makes one parent believe that they are exempt from driving? We are over an hour apart from the kids, and when we are doing the driving, we are told "It's only an hour." When we request help with the driving, though, we are told that gas costs too much! It would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic.

Crys said...

"When we request help with the driving, though, we are told that gas costs too much!"

That's the excuse we get too. If she actually paid anything for the kids I might be more sympathetic, but considering she pays jack and they live with us full time I'm not quite as willing to feel sorry for her.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! Hope you had a great vacation.

I think meeting halfway sounds like a logical and fair place to split the driving. Of course, BM's aren't always logical OR fair LOL.

As far as house hunting, is there any way you could move closer to Jane's area and kill 2 birds with 1 stone, so to speak?

Crys said...

I wouldn't move to that area if you paid me. I grew up in a small farming town around there too. I just don't like it. Plus it's in the Northern valley where it gets to be in the 90s and 100s daily temp wise during the summer.

We're moving so that FH doesn't have to pay the bridge toll that he crosses for work everyday. Plus, I'm sorry but I couldn't never bring myself to move somewhere to help make her life easier. Especially when she doesn't put any effort into helping to make ours easier.

Minnie said...

I'm glad you had a good trip. Welcome back.

I know the stress of moving, and finding the right schools, etc.

Good luck and hang in there.

Anonymous said...

Hey! Good luck on the new home search. You're doing the right thing. Try not to stress about moving older boy so much; kids are resilient, he'll be fine. In the end, this move will be better for you all.

And glad to hear you enjoyed your vacation!

Anonymous said...

Happy house hunting!

As far as the driving thing goes...I had to finally put my foot down and come up with a new policy: "If you want them, you come get them." My ex picks the kids up on his weekends and one week night. When the time is over I go get them from his house. It has worked for us.

dearjenn said...

I don't envy you right now- I am in the midst of trying to relocate temporarily while waiting for escrow to close on our new house. It's a pain to say the least- and yes, my concern for the children is the greatest of all.

Good luck with this!