Monday, April 19, 2010

Accomplishing the Kindergarten Checklist

I picked up the Kindergarten Registration packet for Younger Boy and in it was a page that has a list of things that “They would like him or her to know” before your child enters school in the fall.

Younger Boy can do quite a bit of them already. He knows his colors, he knows common shapes, he knows common fruits and vegetables, he knows common animal names and he’s pretty good at knowing his different body parts. Although he’s having some trouble remembering his shoulder but that’s not a high concern on my list.

They also would like him to be able to count up to 10 objects. So I plopped down a handful of mini marshmallows in front of him. He got up to 19 because that’s all that was there. I didn’t want to give him too many because the rule is if you touch it you eat it.

Some of the things on there that I thought was a little silly was the ability to cut on a line, color inside the lines and string beads or macaroni. I figure he’ll strengthen on these on his own as he gets into his Kindergarten groove. Besides, I know people my age who have trouble coloring inside the lines. I’m not going to expect a 4-year-old to have mastered that feat just yet.

The one big thing I have been working with him on is writing. He, of course, wants to hold the pencil/pen wrong. So we’ve been trying to work daily on writing the letters and how to hold the pencil. I bought a wipe-off work book for Middle Boy when he was learning to write his letters so I’ve been using that with Younger Boy. He’s gotten pretty good at it.

I’ve also been working with him on how to spell his name. We started off using the letter magnets on the refrigerator. And this past Friday was my mom’s birthday so I thought it would be a good idea to have him practice writing his name by signing the card himself. I copied his name down on a piece of paper and had him copy the letters. He sat there and struggled a little bit. But he managed to get the letters onto the card. They were somewhat legible, different sizes, and his s was backwards. But you could read it and know whose name it was.

Yesterday I had FH sit down to work on some of these Kindergarten feats with him. He had a pencil in hand and a big piece of paper. I asked Younger Boy to practice writing his name. I also asked FH to go grab the piece of paper so he could copy it down for him. Well, low and behold, by the time FH walked over from the desk to the table Younger Boy had printed out his name if very legible letters.

FH and I looked at each other quite astonished, and proud. Younger Boy looked at me and smiled. I could swear his had a “You silly fool. Of course I can write my name” look on his face.

Baby Update: I'll be going on 17 weeks on Wednesday. We heard the heartbeat again and it's still going strong. I'm waiting for the next ultrasound on April 29th. It's the big one where I have to drink 5 1/2 glasses of water an hour and a half before so they can look for birth defects and what not. We're hoping the baby will let us know what he or she is. Please think *Girl* for me because I sure could use another female in this house of boys. Especially considering even the cat is a male.

7 comments:

The Step In Mom. . . said...

Kids always surpise you. Sounds like he is doing pretty well. I would think he will be ok as long as he understands the concept of coloring in the lines, lol.

Good luck with your next appt! Hopefully you have a girl! My babysitter has 5 boys and 1 girl.... talk about constant insanity!

Anonymous said...

I'm definitely thinking "girl"!

Good luck.

Oh, and I really admire the work you put in with your Boys.

Eyes Wide Open said...

GIRLGIRLGIRLGIRL!!!!! I'll be repeating it over and over in my head :)
So excited for you..and excited to catch up! I've been slacking on reading all of my favorites!

dearjenn said...

I will totally think pink for you! And if it is a girl, wow, do I have a load of stuff I can box up and ship over to you.

Anonymous said...

Younger Boy is one smart cookie. I'll do my best to send "girl vibes" your way!

Smirking Cat said...

I'll be sending "girl" thoughts your way :)

D said...

On the correct use of the pencil - go to an education store and get a little gummy pencil holder thingy (sorry, I don't know what you actually call them). Take the kiddo with you and let him pick out his favorite color. :-)

BTW -- girl girl girl!!!