Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Getting Back to the Basics of Learning

As some of you may remember, I’ve decided to work with Younger Boy on learning some preschool basics while he’s home. This past week we have been working on tracing and learning the letters. He’s been very excited. I’m not sure what he’s absorbing, but I do know that he really wants to do it. In the middle of coloring yesterday he asked if he could write letters. I don’t even think I could describe my excitement in the fact he initiated the want to write some letters.

We’ve worked our way up to G so far. We tried some free-hand letters but his little hands just can’t quite grasp the crayon the way you’re supposed to be holding it in order to write. So I’ve been writing the letters down and letting him trace over them with a different colored crayon.

I also have letter magnets on the fridge and we’ve been going over some of the letters and words that start with them. Like Thomas starts with the letter T and Olivia starts with the letter O. I don’t expect him to get it, but I’m still excited that he’s been asking what letter different words start with.

He wants so very much to be like his older brothers and to be able to read and write. I want to embrace his excitement to learn and do things, but I want to make sure that I’m doing it right. I need to dumb it down I guess – get back to the basics. I’ve found that to be one of my more challenging things lately when it comes to teaching and helping the boys learn. Remembering how hard it was to learn simple things like letters and adding, because I learned all of that so long ago. Taking that step back is a lot harder than I thought it would be. But I have confidence that I can do this.

I’ve been thinking about getting some letter stencils or alphabet specific coloring books. I’m thinking more hands on things instead of flashcards since he is going to be 4-years-old., but I wanted to see if any of you have any ideas of other things I can get to help teach him the letters and to become familiar with handling crayons?

Younger Boy writing his letters.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, encourage him to hold his crayon like you do. Then he'll have more control over it.

Is Sesame Street still on TV? Both of my kids watched it and learned a ton about letters. I also used to use some Sesame Street flashcards that have a picture on one side and a letter on the other. There are tons of computer learning games: JumpStart is a good one and it's available for pre-school thru grade 6.

Minnie said...

Congratulations on taking the time to work with him.

Secondly, I agree with Sharon, try these: http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&source=hp&q=crayon+and+pencil+gripper+for+child&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=NivfSr_ED5GN8AafuKVy&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CCwQrQQwAw or some other brand like them.

The Step In Mom. . . said...

Check out my page... :-)

Vodka Mom said...

They have special large grips that help with thegrip!

Also, Dr Jean has some great songs on a cd that help with this!!

Good work, Mom!!